Econazole Nitrate Cream is used for:
Treating certain yeast and fungal infections of the skin. Econazole Nitrate may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Econazole Nitrate Cream is an antifungal agent. Econazole Nitrate works by killing sensitive fungi by interfering with the formation of the fungal cell membrane and weakening it.
Do NOT use Econazole Nitrate Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Econazole Nitrate Cream
Before using Econazole Nitrate Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Econazole Nitrate Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have alcoholism or consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day, you have severe liver or kidney disease, you are receiving dialysis, or you have the blood disease porphyria or nervous system disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Econazole Nitrate Cream. Because little, if any, of Econazole Nitrate Cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
How to use Econazole Nitrate Cream:
Use Econazole Nitrate Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on Econazole Nitrate for exact dosing instructions.
- Econazole Nitrate Cream is for topical use on the skin only.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- Unless your hands are part of the treated area, wash your hands with soap and water immediately after applying Econazole Nitrate Cream to remove any medicine left on the hands.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Econazole Nitrate Cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Econazole Nitrate Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Important safety information:
- Econazole Nitrate Cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Econazole Nitrate Cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Do not scratch if you can help it. Scratching can cause more irritation and spread the infection.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Econazole Nitrate Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if Econazole Nitrate Cream is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Econazole Nitrate Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Econazole Nitrate Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning; itching; redness; stinging of skin.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe skin irritation.