Chemical Name: PERMETHRIN (per-METH-rin)
Permethrin is a scabicide used to treat scabies. Permethrin works by killing the tiny insects (mites) that cause scabies. Permethrin may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
INFORM YOUR DOCTOR OR PHARMACIST of all prescription and over-the-counter medicine that you are taking. Inform your doctor of any other medical conditions, allergies, pregnancy or breast-feeding.
Follow the directions for using Permethrin provided by your doctor. Massage Permethrin into the skin from your head to the soles of your feet. For some patients, your doctor may also ask you to treat your scalp, temples, and forehead. Bathe or shower after 8 to 14 hours to remove Permethrin. STORE Permethrin at room temperature, away from heat and light. Keep the container tightly closed.
AVOID GETTING Permethrin in your eyes or on the inside of your nose and mouth. If it gets in your eyes, flush with water immediately. CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR if living mites are found after 14 days. FOR WOMEN: IT IS UNKNOWN IF Permethrin IS EXCRETED in breast milk. DO NOT BREAST-FEED while using Permethrin.
Possible side effects
SIDE EFFECTS, that may go away during treatment, include itching, mild burning or stinging, swelling, or redness. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. If you notice any other effects, contact your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.
If you take too much
If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Permethrin may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of overdose may include dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, headache, weakness, seizures, and loss of consciousness.
Itching may continue for up to 14 days due to sensitivity to mites. This does not indicate treatment failure. Contact your doctor before using Permethrin again. DO NOT SHARE Permethrin with others for whom it was not prescribed. DO NOT USE Permethrin for other health conditions. KEEP Permethrin out of the reach of children.